Achieve the Bust of Your Dreams with Breast Augmentation
Women turn to breast enhancement procedures for a number of reasons and desires. Breasts are a natural reflection of a woman’s nurturing, sexuality and femininity. If you feel your breasts are underdeveloped, irregular in size, not proportional to your body, or depleted after pregnancy, then breast augmentation may be for you. Dr. Shah treats women of different body shapes, weights, and breast sizes at his Springfield, MO, office. The procedure will be tailored to fit your individual goals.
Why Breast Augmentation? | Reasons for the procedure
Women consider breast augmentation for one or more of the following reasons:
- Enhance self-image and self-confidence
- Feel self-conscious wearing a swimsuit or form-fitting or low-cut tops
- Clothes that fit well around the hips are often too large at the bust line
- Breast cancer patients selecting breast implants for reconstructive purposes after mastectomy
- Believe breasts are too small for body size
- Desire a better proportioned or more appealing figure
- Restore symmetry if one breast is smaller than the other
- Pregnancy, weight loss or aging has affected the size and shape of breasts
Breast augmentation procedures are used cosmetically to:
- Increase fullness and projection of the breasts
- Enlarge a naturally small breast, most commonly the result of heredity
- Achieve better symmetry when breasts are moderately disproportionate in size and shape
- Restore breast volume lost following pregnancy, as a result of breast-feeding or due to weight loss
Breast augmentation is one of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, allowing patients a chance to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figure.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Shah will take a complete medical history and examine the areas of concern in advance of planning your breast augmentation. You will be asked about your desired breast size and breast appearance and any other medical considerations. At your consultation visit you will have the opportunity to try on breast implant sizers to help determine the appropriate implant that will help you achieve your desired goals. Dr. Shah will factor in the size and shape of your breasts, the size of implant you desire for volume enhancement, the quality of your skin and the placement of your nipples and areolas (the pigmented skin surrounding the nipples). If your breasts are sagging, Dr. Shah may recommend a breast lift in conjunction with augmentation.
This process will help Dr. Shah to better understand your expectations and determine whether they can be realistically achieved. Then, this information will be used to formulate a surgical plan that will obtain the best outcome based on the discussed goals of the procedure. Dr. Shah will select the surgical technique that will offer the lowest risk with maximum results. Both Dr. Shah and his staff will thoroughly explain the surgical technique and answer any questions on the procedure.
Overview of the Procedure
Your breast augmentation surgery will be performed in one of our fully accredited surgical facilities. The procedure takes 1 to 2 hours to complete. You will need to make arrangements to have a family member or friend drive you to and from the surgery center and care for you during the first 24 – 48 hours after surgery.
In breast augmentation using implants, Dr. Shah makes an incision, lifts the breast tissue, creates a pocket in the chest/breast area and places an implant in the pocket. There are two options for placement of the implant: subglandular and submuscular/dual-plane. The decision on implant placement is based mainly on the patient’s anatomy.
- Subglandular “above the muscle”: the implant is placed beneath the breast tissue. In this situation, there is only breast tissue covering the implant.
- Submuscular/ Dual-plane “below the muscle”: the implant is placed underneath the pectoralis muscle of the chest wall. This allows the implant to be covered by muscle on the top and breast tissue along the bottom (dual-plane).
Dr. Shah uses the Keller Funnel to place gel implants. This allows not only for a small incision, but also protects the implant from any contact with the skin. This has the potential to reduce infection and future capsular contracture. To learn more about this procedural device visit Keller Funnel. To learn more about the types of implants, silicone safety, and product warranty visit Mentor® MemoryGel® Breast Implants.
Incisions are discreetly made in one of three places:
- Underneath the breast, within the crease or inframammary fold
- Near the armpit, where the arm meets the chest area
- Around the lower edge of the areola (the darker skin surrounding the nipple)
Dr. Shah is careful to place the incision where scarring will be least noticeable.
After your breast augmentation surgery, you may experience bruising, swelling, and some discomfort. The incisions are closed with dissolvable sutures and covered with steri-strips that help protect the incision during your healing process. After surgery, patients are wrapped with a breast bandage for support. This bandage is removed the following morning by Dr. Shah or his staff. After the bandage is removed, you will be given a surgical bra that will provide the appropriate amount of support. This bra will be worn day and night for the next 4 weeks. Your breasts may feel tight and sensitive to the touch. Some patients have muscle spasms that may make the back and shoulders tight. You will be given medication and be taught gentle exercises to help prevent muscle tightening. You will have a 20 pound weight restriction for 2 weeks after surgery. Most patients return to work within 3 to 4 days after surgery. You will be able to return to exercise activities within 2-3 weeks.
Dr. Shah and his staff will closely monitor your progress and provide specific postoperative care instructions and follow up visits to ensure a smooth healing and recovery.
If you would like more information on breast augmentation, or if you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact the Medical Spa today.
Click here to read our postoperative care instructions after breast augmentation surgery.
Visit these websites to learn more on breast augmentation products and surgery.
- Mentor® MemoryGel® Breast Implants
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
"To Dr. Shah and your fabulous team, Every time I pass by a mirror I am surprised and say to myself...what was I waiting for? Makeup has become fun again! I thank you all for a great experience."Actual Patient